Kenya's food and drink industry is the most developed in the region. Kenya has more hotels than any other country, Nairobi has more resturaunts than any other city and its supermarket sector is the most advanced. With tourism being one of the region's biggest earners and with a huge growing middle class, the food and beverage industry is set for substantial growth. With the market developing, there is the growing need for access to new and international products. With global supermarkets entering the region and new restaurants constantly being launched, now is the time to enter this flourishing market.
Kenya and the wider East African region offer a huge amount of potential which is why the organisers of Food&Drink East Africa decided to run such a large scale event. There are so many different events around the world but below are a few facts about Kenya and the region to help show you what a great opportunity there is for companies to enter, develop and grow in the region:
- $100 billion is the value of the African restaurant market.
- Kenya is the largest economy in the region- According to the IMF, the current and forecased GDP and GDP per capita are higher than Ethiopia, Uganda, Rwanda, Burundi and Tanzania
- International companies that have their continental headquarters that are in Kenya are Google, IBM, Toyota, CocaCola, Standard Chartered, Microsoft
- 44.9% of Kenyans are considered middle class. Africa has the fastest growing middle class with an average of 34%. The global average is 27%.
- 250 formal supermarkets in Kenya.
- Kenya has the best trade links in the whole of Eastern and Central Africa. Nairobi airport is the busiest airport in the region and Mombassa port is the busiest trade port.
- 20% is the amount of international products that Carrefour is importing as it launched into Kenya 2016.
- Kenya is the highest trading country in the region making up 37% of trades
- 500+ restaurants and hotels in Nairobi - more than any other city in Africa (excl. South Africa)
- Kenya is ranked number one in the world for mobile money
To take advantage of this great market and opportunity and to exhibit with us at Food&Drink East Africa, please get in touch with us.